Deadline + 18 days
The shelves and their facings are put together leading to a substantial increase in size of the thing.
Here’s a quick diagram you may click to embiggen if you so wish of the changes in sizes from the one version to the next:
The braces are test fitted too, these photos probably being the only time they actually get seen due to their position on the underside…
I’ve bought some shaped wooden beading with the intent of making some faux-industrial rocker switches for Panel 2 but although it was the largest size they stocked, the truth is it’s too small.
Never one to waste material though I cut it into chunks to stick it round the diameter of the plastic tube over the central column to try to disguise the fact it sits on top of the console and doesn’t emerge from within it.
Failing to have it finished on time really takes the wind out of my sails with the project. Towards the end there it was the adrenaline keeping me going trying to get it finished within the fortnight and after that pressure is released I crash in a big way.
It was a few days before I could even face gluing the simplest of the panels together and a week later there are only three complete.
Even those I’m not happy with now, all I can see is big empty spaces where there are no controls and I start looking around the TARDIS Builder forums and other Internet locations for inspiration.
The knob thing and coloured domes on Panel 4 just look really out of place compared to the Navigation circle and I need to make the light strip for the TARDIS Central Computer on Panel 2 closer to what was seen on screen.
One of those problems can be solved by eating a load of Quality Street the other will depend on how fast Rubbertoes can dispatch their stock items.
13 hours till deadline
Around 01:00 I checked my e-mail to find a message from the producer in response to my comment earlier in the night that I’ve run short by about a day in terms of build time, but the console will be ready for filming as required, but without lights fitted. He’s decided to put back the filming by a week because I’ve not been able to finish in the two weeks I said it would take.
I feel pretty bad that I’ve not delivered what I promised, despite the 16 or 17 hour days, barely even stopping to eat that I’ve been devoting to it. While it’s 80% there and entirely usable I wouldn’t be happy with it knowing we had to cut corners purely because I didn’t know my own limits.
Having to return to work the following week means that I won’t have time in the evenings to finish it for his next deadline either and while I could get it all done within a fortnight, my 40th birthday falls on that Friday so I wouldn’t be able to transport it to the studio and begin the couple of hours it will take to set up until the Saturday morning, potentially delaying the start of their filming.
22 hours till deadline
Everything has had a couple of coats of paint by now and with less than 24 hours to go we’re waiting on it drying sufficiently to get to work with the hot glue gun during the day on Friday when I really ought to be working.
Meanwhile it’s coming up to midnight and I can get back to the central column. Aside from some Superglue related excess and forgetting to put the thinner bit on before the bit which is slightly wider first time round, this goes surprisingly well, until in a 01:00 attempt to finish it in time for shooting one of the horizontal rods for the topmost black sail gets stuck partway through it’s fixing hole. Either the hole shrunk or the rod expanded but no amount of tapping is shifting it one way or another until almost inevitably it snaps. Having used the excess rod elsewhere I having nothing to replace it with so the top two sails need to attach directly to the centre upright. Suddenly this console is referencing the Troughton era too with the dilapidated state of the central column.
48 hours till deadline
Two days before the whole thing is supposed to be in studio for filming some photos are finally e-mailed of the parts supplied by the contact at Rolls Royce.
Time for Plan C then.
Out with the hole cutter again and it need to be set to it’s maximum size because a few bits as possible can go on this panel as they’re now need to fill up space on Panel 6 as the phone idea has been dropped. I’ve asked the producer to have some Gallifrey style concentric circles printed up onto acetate for the navigation panel, but given that there’s little chance he’ll complete the request and certainly not get it to me soon enough, while I’m using the hole cutter I wonder if I can abuse it to do some engraving onto Perspex for me..? Takes two attempts and buckets of sweat as I get closer to doing the final circle in anticipation of causing it to crack but I get there eventually.
So we’ve got a McGann shelf, a Hartnell panel, a Smith panel, a Baker-T-ish panel and a Recall Indicator ala Davison. If I add some broken line detailing to my door control box it’s reminiscent of his era too. I guess I can cheat it and say the scanner animation I’ve done in After Effects is an Eccleston\Tennant nod and every flick switch is a tip of the hat to Pertwee so everything except the later Eighties console is represented in some small way, which is slightly fitting given the purpose of the film.
The weather hasn’t really improved and there’s been near constant rain so another slight problem is that I’m not really sure where all this is going to go to sit while it dries, certainly not outdoors on the lawn. In the end nobody gets a shower or come and go by the front door for the next two days as the bathroom floor and hallway are covered with bits of wood being painted and drying. At least there’s still the garden hut where the spray painting of the controls can all be done.